Marla Hutchison Crockett has served for over 25 years providing advisory services to a wide range of health care providers, including; academic medical centers, for-profit and not-for-profit health systems, integrated delivery systems; market-entry healthcare IT organizations, and pioneering integrated MD groups. Ms. Crockett is a proven practice leader, serving as a leader in the development of the clinical transformation practice for Deloitte and developing the clinical transformation role at Maestro Strategies. In her previous role as Principal at Deloitte, Marla led engagements related to clinical transformation and integration with electronic medical records and systems. Prior to her joining Deloitte, she excelled in provider leadership roles where she served in a variety of positions, including Vice President of Patient Care Services with Humana. In addition, Marla serves on several healthcare-related boards.
Areas of consulting expertise include: health system operational governance design and implementation, Population Health Management strategy and operationalization, care delivery system transformation, information technology strategic planning, ambulatory care delivery model redesign, ambulatory operations re-engineering, technology governance, and operational consolidation and integration.
Recent engagements have included:
- Served as Interim Population Health Services Executive, and led the strategic assessment and planning for a multi-entity healthcare system to assess capabilities and develop strategies for entering the Population Health Management segment of the healthcare market. Assessed current capabilities, competencies and requirements for successful implementation of Population Health Management across multiple entities, multiple markets and multiple states. Worked with executive leadership to set requirements for information systems, analytics, data transformation and using big data to drive population health strategies.
- Developed Clinical Integration strategy for a two-hospital system in the southeast, including readiness assessment, ACO environmental scan and research, payor landscape, market readiness, provider alignment, care delivery model, information technology and analytics, formation of a CIN Physician Advisory Group, scenario development and analytics, and creation of a high-level business plan
- Facilitated for the transformation of the patient care philosophy and delivery models in multi-hospital healthcare systems. The range of the services provided include: leadership coaching and mentoring for initiative leaders, objective assessment of the current state of the organization with change management requirements definition, and integration of transformation with system-wide implementation of current clinical information systems, guiding multiple initiative leaders across the organization to integrate the work of parallel initiatives, defining the work and resources required to achieve transformation goals. Key workgroups for the inpatient care delivery model transformation include: Acute medical/surgery, critical care, surgical services, emergency services and procedure services
- Served as the interim COO and co-clinical lead for an innovative healthcare ambulatory clinic start-up working with Walmart stores in Houston, Texas. Provided operational direction and developed the comprehensive operating model for the organization’s clinics in five Houston, Texas Walmart sites. Collaborated with the CEO and CMO on service models, facility design and organizational effectiveness
- Designed and implemented a Population Health Services Organization (PHSO), including assessing current leadership capabilities, competencies and requirements for successful implementation of Population Health Management across multiple entities, multiple markets and multiple states. Worked with executive leadership to set requirements for information systems, analytics, data transformation and using big data to drive population health strategies
- Lead client services principal for the assessment of provider IT organizations within multi-facility healthcare systems and integrated health networks. Directed the overall operational assessments and redesign/reorganization of the IT departments including areas of: governance, operations, system identification and selection strategies, strategic planning, communication, and service delivery. Worked with client organizations to develop and implement detailed plans of action to improve overall IT organizational performance, efficiencies and service delivery unique to large, multi-facility healthcare organizations.
Marla is a Program Advisor at Texas A&M University-Texarkana’s Women in Leadership Program, designed by industry experts for professionals seeking expert advice, strategies and practical tools. She has been a featured speaker on numerous occasions with topics including: “E-Healthcare Consumer”, “Healthcare Operations,” and “Clinical Informatics’ Role in Designing a Collaborative Approach to Cancer Care.” Marla is also a contributing author for two of Maestro’s award-winning series on return on investment “Rethinking ROI: The Challenge of Accountable Meaningful Use, and “Beyond Return on Investment: Expanding the Value of Healthcare Information Technology”
Marla previously held executive positions with Deloitte and Humana, Inc. Marla holds an MBA from the University of Houston at Clear Lake and a BSN in Nursing from Kansas University.