Susan Irby has over 35 years in the healthcare industry, and has worked with Maestro for 23 years. Her clients include: include healthcare delivery systems; accountable care organizations; health information exchange organizations; solutions companies such as software vendors, services firms and architects; and healthcare associations, affiliations, joint ventures and coalitions. Susan’s areas of expertise include: Strategic Planning; Financial Planning & Business Model Design; ROI & Value Measurement; Data Analytics Strategy, Organization Design, Data Quality & Technologies; IT Strategy; Care Management Platform Design; and Population Health. She is the developer of Maestro’s ROI Toolkit that has been deployed across multiple provider and supplier settings.
Recent Engagements have included:
- Conducted assessment and developed business and strategic plans for multiple healthcare organizations. This included overall strategic direction, service line planning, IT strategy, and population health management strategy
- Developed COVID19 reopening model for healthcare system that projected volumes by service area and associated staffing and supply (PPE) needs for use by command center in directing day-to-day operations
- Assessed multiple organizations on analytics maturity with specific recommendations on how to progress up the maturity ladder. Developed “Insight Driven Decision Making” methodology and processes for several organizations, and educated client organizations on new decision-making approaches. Served as Interim Chief Data Officer (CDO) and established Analytics Center of Excellence for a two-hospital health system in the Midwest with a sizeable ACO
- Led and directed “Proof of Concept” data analytics projects across multiple health systems to teach data customers and decision makers their role in the process and to demonstrate the value of an integrated approach. Established Data Governance/Data Stewardship committee structures, roles, processes, policies, and procedures. Areas address included readmissions, quality metrics and Value-Based Purchasing
- Developed Clinical Integration strategy for a two-hospital system in the southeast, including readiness assessment, ACO environmental scan and research, payor landscape, market readiness, provider alignment, care delivery model, information technology and analytics, formation of a CIN Physician Advisory Group, scenario development and analytics, and creation of a high-level business plan
- Assisted multiple solutions providers new to healthcare and/or new to the US market in developing positioning, messaging, and go-to-market strategy. Assessed feasibility of product commercialization for several service providers
- Lead Data Integration and Analytics Strategy for large healthcare GPO
- Conducted impact analysis for several local and statewide Health Information Exchanges to demonstrate the value of data exchange between providers and others
- Conducted Value management and ROI analysis and toolkit development engagements for several supplier organizations to include benefits identification, hypothesis testing, financial projections, and value realization planning
Susan is a contributing author to all of Maestro’s award-winning series on return on investment, and is co-editor of the latest publication “Orchestrating Value: Population Health in the Digital Age”. Her speaking engagements include regional, national, and international audiences and focus on the value of information, measurement, and decision-making culture.
Susan holds both a Master of Science in Health Systems and a Bachelor of Industrial and Systems Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology, and is a former adjunct faculty member for the University of Alabama Birmingham, School of Health Informatics.